Monday, March 17, 2014

Announcement - Fred C Cox running for House District 30

On Friday, March 14, 2014, as a former Member of the Utah House of Representatives, I filed to run for State House District 30 in West Valley City.

I believe we must stand up and be heard or watch our constitutionally protected rights disappear. As a member of the State House for 2011 and 2012, I have been heard, standing up to protect your rights.

During the 2011 and 2012 Sessions, I had the best floor voting attendance record of either the House or Senate. I wanted to hear both sides of an issue and work to find win - win solutions when possible. If not possible, I worked to either amend or cause to fail bills that were flawed. I read through each and every bill I voted on, even though they numbered over 1000. 

Both years I was able to sponsor bills that passed the House, and had bills signed by the Governor into law. I was recognized as someone that was not afraid to take a stand and speak up. 

For the 2013 Session, I had prepared several bills. Due to the results of redistricting and the 2012 election I was able to transfer 4 bills to other legislators, and help to get those bills though both Houses and signed by the Governor. A 5th bill was dropped when the state agency reversed their policy and it was no longer needed. A sixth bill was not needed when a similar bill was passed and signed into law.

The bills that became law include subjects such as classic car registration, kidnapping offender lists, allowing fault to be considered in determining alimony, protecting property rights, and increasing the ability and flexibility to recycle rain water, which is important in Utah. 

I set up many public town hall meetings in 2011 and 2012 and even scheduled a town hall meeting as a member of the State Republican Central Committee and had several of the Attorney General nominee candidates come to the Hunter Library. 

I am honored to serve as a member of the State Republican Central Committee, and have had perfect meeting and voting attendance since 2011 when I was elected to represent Salt Lake County. I am also honored to serve on the Salt Lake County Republican Bylaws Committee. 

During the last year I have actively fought to improve our current system of elections and to educate those that the proposed initiative was flawed and would favor incumbents, wealthy and famous and would not improve our elections. I actively fought initial language in 2014 SB 54 that would have eliminated the new person showing up the night of the Neighborhood Caucus Elections and being able to run for state or county delegate. I do not favor the "Lexus Lane to the Ballot" for the rich and famous and will work continue to fight for and improve our system.

Come meet with me at my Town Hall Meeting this Wednesday at the Hunter Library.

For more information, see my website at:

http://www.fredcox4utah.com/

See it for Facebook, Twitter, and other social media links.

Please feel free to call or write with any questions. 

Fred C. Cox 
801-966-2636 (home) 
fred@fredcox4utah.com